Prime Minister Narendra Modi recently launched the Umang app under his Digital India campaign. Umang stands for Unified Mobile Application for New-age Governance.
Through this app, people can avail different services offered by government organisations at the central as well as state level on a single platform. They can also make utility payments. Currently, the Umang app provides access to 162 services of 33 government departments and 4 states. You can use the app on your smartphone, tablet, or desktop.
What are the services offered on the Umang app?
The app offers lots of different services, and more will be added in the future. Some of the important services offered are:
1. Employees Provident Fund Organisation (EPFO) services
You can currently access the following EPFO services on the app:
- You can view your passbook.
- Raise a claim for pension withdrawal (part-withdrawal or final settlement).
- Also, you can track the status of a claim.
Note: You can view your passbook without linking Aadhaar to both EPF and the Umang app. But for the second two options, linking Aadhaar with your EPF account is mandatory.
To access EPFO services on the Umang app:
- Find the EPF option on the app homepage.
- Select ‘Employee Centric Services’.
- Then enter your UAN.
- The app will then send an OTP to your mobile number registered with EPF.
- Log in using that OTP.
2. PAN Card application
You can access the following PAN card services on the app:
- Apply for a new PAN card.
- Make changes in PAN card details
- Track the status of your PAN.
- Make payment online.
3. Pradhan Mantri Kaushal Vikas Yojana registration
If you are looking for a job, you can register under this scheme on the app.
4. National Pension Scheme (NPS) services
You can access the following NPS services on the app:
- After entering your PRAN and password, you can see your account information.
- Change scheme preference.
- Contribute to your account.
Students, teachers, and parents can access e-books, audios, and videos.
You can view/download your Aadhaar card from your DigiLocker account.
7. Bharat BillPay
You can pay your gas, electricity, water, and telephone bills.
8. Crop Insurance
9. Bharat Gas, HP Gas, and Indane Gas services
10. Income Tax services
11. Passport Seva
Note – These are just a few of the many services offered.
How to download the Umang app on your phone?
The Umang app is available on Android, iOS, and Windows phones.
- To download the Umang app on your Android phone, please click here.
- To download the Umang app on your iOS phone, please click here.
- And to download the Umang app on your Windows phone, please click here.
How to register on the Umang app?
To register on the Umang app on your phone, please follow the given steps:
- Launch the app on your phone.
- Click on ‘New User’.
- Enter your mobile number, and then click on the proceed button.
- You will receive an OTP on your mobile number.
- Enter the OTP to complete the mobile number verification.
- Next you have to set your MPIN. Enter your desired MPIN, confirm it, and then click on the proceed button.
- Now you will be asked security questions. This is to help you recover your account in case you forget your MPIN.
- Choose two security questions, and answer them.
Aadhaar integration –
Linking your Aadhaar number to your Umang profile is optional.
- Option 1 – Enter your Aadhaar number. It will then be used for e-KYC to fill your profile details. You can link your Aadhaar ID to only one Umang profile. You have to verify your mobile number by entering the OTP received on your mobile number registered with Aadhaar.
- Option 2 – Click on ‘Skip’ when asked to enter your Aadhaar number. Since you have not linked with Aadhaar, you will have to fill in your profile details manually. You can also choose to skip this, and enter profile details later.
Now the Umang registration process is complete!
- You can also register on the official Umang website. Click on ‘User Login’ → ‘New User’. Then follow the step by step process.
- Email verification – If you have entered your email address in profile details, you have to verify it. To do this, just click on the verification link sent to your email address.
- You can also link your social media accounts with the app.
How to login on the Umang app?
- Once you have registered on the app, you can login using your registered mobile number and MPIN.
- Alternatively, you can login using your Aadhaar number.
Once you have logged in, you can access all the available services. Just search for the relevant service.
Hopefully this app will prove to be very useful. It can be accessed in 12 different languages. And it also has a dedicated Customer Support team available from 8 am to 8 pm everyday.
To read about the Kisan Suvidha app, please click here.